Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin, abu mohammed, Naqshband66, AishaZaynap, bint e aisha
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 28th March 2014 10:20
Some people came to a governor of Ameerul Mu'mineen 'Umar Ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه and he gave to the Arabs and not to the non-Arabs. Sayyiduna 'Umar رضي الله عنه wrote to him saying: "It is sufficient evil for a man to despise his Muslim brother." According to another report, he wrote to him saying: "Why did you not treat them equally?"

[al-Watha'iq as-Siyasiyah lil-'Ahd an-Nabawi wal-Khilafah ar-Rashidah; as quoted in Dr. 'Ali Muhammad Sallabi: 'Umar Ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه: His Life and Times, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 77]
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 1st April 2014 14:09
Islam: Between Race & Colour - Mufti Ismail Menk

Halalified YT Audio

+2 -0Winner x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 16:30
AAWW,

Came across a local revert brother (online) recently who, together with his son, stopped coming to the masjid due to feeling he wasnt welcome because of his colour. Ive no idea exactly what happened if something was said or the looks he got or whatever. Some local brothers and sisters online did try to encourage him to try to ignore it and just walk in, gives salaams, pray your salaah then leave, make dua for them etc. He still replied he doesnt want to go back again and prays at home instead :-( Inshallah will try my best to meet him in person.

From all our 14 local masjids theres 1 ..maybe 2 ....make reverts feel welcome and part of their community (yes one's a salafi masjid). The rest not only do you have to be following the same group of scholars that the Masjid follows but also the same ethnicity and some cases the same part of Pakistan/Bangladesh/Turkey/India...and some going even further; the same district of a particular state of country X :-(

.....feeling quite depressed over the past few days. This and so many other local issues :-(

Nabi (SAW) was always optimistic and had full trust in Allah, inshallah things will change slowly...but surely. May Allah help us.

Hasbunallahu wa-ni'mal wakeel
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 16:54
Daywalk3r wrote:
View original post

How about realization that many of these Reverts (particularly Sisters) have issues which need to be resolved as well?

I am not saying that Muslims are perfect but when I encounter Racism at work what do I do? Resign???
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 17:08
sorry bhai muadh. i dont quite get what your saying. pls can you elaborate. JZK
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 17:28

Daywalk3r wrote:
View original post

After nearly 2+ decades of working with Reverts I know that they have issues, emotional baggage etc which needs to be discussed.Yes the Muslim community has problems but at the sametime our Reverts brothers (and particularly Sisters) also need to learn to cope.

We (immigrants) come to these countries for wrong or right reasons suffer Racism, undue discrimination but we cope. Yes we whine about it but we cope and we live with it.

We need to improve our communities no doubt (I agree) but Reverts also need to get a grip on the situation. There is plenty of support for Reverts for their well-being while almost NONE of existing Muslims. We have loads of single mothers, divorced Sisters in the community suffering and ONE WHITE SISTER and the whole community spring into action.

Nobody (much) cares about existing Pakistani and Gujrati Sisters. We have Brothers looking for work in our communities and ONE WHITE BROTHER and the entire Masjid is willing to trust and give them a job.

This is an open fact of our communities.

The Revert brother needs to be asked, "If you were working and your livelihood depended on your job and you were discriminated would you sit and home and quit? If not then why are you behaving like this with the house of Allah (SWT)?"

I am not saying that the Revert brother whom you are discussing is "white" but we (Asians) have serious issues which need to be seriously discussed.

Yes we should provide support to Reverts but there are tons within our communities who silently suffer 24/7 and their issues are just as real!

In my opinion Reverts are given much better treatement for support then existing Muslims. The difference is that some existing Muslims have family support (and Reverts obviously don't) and I admit but many of us (first generation immigrants) landed in these lands with little money and no education and nobody gave me a house, job or wife!

As I said I speak with 2+ decades of experience and not from my pocket.

+3 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 17:59
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم

I haven't seen many reverts, but I can understand what you are saying. Most of the reverts I have seen is from online, so I kinda agree with what you are saying.

Even though if the reverts come with some 'emotional baggage', shouldn't we Muslims treat new converts with some preference so that they stay inside the Deen. I haven't read the Seerah much, but wasn't more care given to New Muslims? At the same time I totally agree that eventually Reverts should be given a reality check and taught to ignore such matters and carry on with deen.
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 19:55

umar123 wrote:
View original post

Absolutely they should be helped and looked after but to what end? I am not claiming that (born) Muslims are perfect; ofcourse they are not! I am also not claiming that things can't be improved...

A Revert brother told me that when the Sahabah migrated from Makkah to Madina the Ansar gave half the properties and even offered to divorce one of their wives for their Muhajiroon brother.

I replied:

1. Did the Ansar took their properties and wives?
  2. No, they said Jazakallahu Khayran "Show me the way to the Market so I can work..."

P.S: I don't know the authenticity of these incidents but if you trust the incidents then it needs to be considered in full. How did the Sahabah who had migrated from Makkah behave to the help offered?

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 20:01
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

I get the point.

I guess its a balance between giving assistance to New Reverts and giving them a reality check on how much to rely on other.

+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd April 2014 21:11
AAWW,

the thread was about racism hence i posted it here. yes absolutely, for every revert facing issues theres least tens if not hundreds of sisters and brothers with even more issues (and their already part of the muslim community and have been for decades). from basic issues such as lack of deeni and educational facilities for sisters, lack of real engagement with the youth, sisters (and some brothers) locked in marriages with nothing but abuse...to the most extreme of cases (such as a sisters incident i came across who's father is a scholar yet shes complaining where was Allah when for about 8 years when she was a few years under 10 her brother was raping her anally not just him but her male cousins too..which lead to heroin, alcohol etc, Sorry for the graphic example just trying to underline the point of YES existing muslims have issues...MASSIVE issues ) there are other threads that comment of those issues and comments can be posted there. This thread was about racism hence i thought it pertinent to post here wrt the experience of the revert brother
+1 -0
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2014 16:45
To say that there is no racism in Islam is like my saying there was no racism outside of the South in the United States back in the 60's when I was a young boy. Just because great sayings and laws existed in the USA outlawing Jim Crow racism doesn't ipso facto mean that racism is expunged from the hearts and minds of individuals and groups of people.
If we would just reflect on the institution of slavery in Mauritania, the attitudes of Arab Sudanese towards their darker-skinned companions in the Darfur region, or the treatment of the so-called "Al-Akhdam" of Yemen, to cite a few examples of those mistreated in Islamic countries, it becomes painfully obvious that there's a profound disconnect with what the Messenger intended and compared with current attitudes among lighter-skinned Muslims.

What intrigues me most is how the descendants of those first Modern Humans out of Africa some 50,000 years ago could evolve a sense of higher nobility and superiority based on skin color and facial features and hair type. This is most interesting and the genesis of what we see today in the attitudes of the peoples of the world.
+0 -0Agree x 1Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2014 17:13
Aaron_of_Portsmo wrote:
View original post

Partially true, many people still hold their culture and custom, higher than the teachings of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (saw) as you rightly mention. The main point is that these are not the teachings of Islam.

There may be racism among people, not in the teachings of Islam.
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Orlando, Florida
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2015 09:02
Indeed there is no racism in Islam, Islam is above all these things. The only way one human can different from other is only his goodness. Colors, gender, age, and any other thing does not make you good from others.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 13th July 2015 15:03
Islam abolished racism 1,400 years ago ~ Dr. Yasir Qadhi

Halalified YT Audio

In a time when the colour of your skin and tribal lineage defined your status in society our Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) abolished racism and bigotry and said those beautiful words in his final sermon that echo through history until today...

"There is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab, nor of a non-Arab over an Arab, nor of a white over a black, nor a black over a white, except by taqwa (piety & God consciousness)."
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2018 09:08
Judge with Justice!

Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says,

"Verily! Allah commands that you should render back the trusts to those, to whom they are due; and that when you judge between people, you judge with justice. Verily, how excellent is the teaching which He (Allah) gives you! Truly, Allah is Ever All-Hearer, All-Seer." (Sooratun-Nisaa', 4:58)

Mufti Muhammad Shafi' رحمه الله comments,

"It should be noted that Allaah Almighty has said, 'between people', and not 'between Muslims,' or 'between believers.' Thus, the hint given is that all human beings are equal in the sight of the decider of cases in disputes. They may be Muslims or non-Muslims, friends or enemies, or they may belong to the same country, colour, language, or they may be from another country, differ in colour and speak a different language. Those who have been made responsible to judge between them are duty-bound to cast aside all these connections and give their decision guided by whatever be the dictate of truth, right and just. ...It is the standing duty of those in authority that they should, whenever a case comes to them, give a judgement based on equity and justice without making any discrimination on the basis of race, country of origin, colour, language, even religion and creed."

[Ma'ariful Qur'an, vol. 2, pp. 473-474]
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'ABC' written in?