Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Ruling of Inviting others to the Way of Allaah (the Most High)

You have contributed 50.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Rjamal, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2018 13:10
Question: Is the responsibility of calling others to the way of Allaah an obligation upon every male and female Muslim? Or is it one that is limited to scholars and students of knowledge only? And is it permissible for the commoner to invite others to the Way of Allaah?

Answer: Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen رحمه الله replied,

"When a person has knowledge and insight into that which he is calling to, then there is no difference between the one who has a great amount of knowledge, or a student of knowledge who has recently started in pursuit of knowledge or a lay person – as long as he has certain knowledge of the issue at hand.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: 'Convey from me, even if it is one verse.' [1]

So it is not a condition upon the daa'ee (the one calling) to attain a great amount of knowledge, but the condition is that one must have knowledge of what one is calling to. If this calling is established upon ignorance and built upon emotion and passion, then it is not permissible.

Thus, we see that some of the brothers who call to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى, they do not have except a little knowledge. We see them, due to their strong emotions, prohibiting that which Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has not prohibited, whilst making obligatory that which Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has not made obligatory upon His worshippers. This is a very dangerous matter, since permitting what Allaah has made Haraam (unlawful) is like prohibiting what Allaah has made Halaal (lawful). So when they begin prohibiting people for making a particular matter then others will rebuke them for making it Haraam.

Allaah تعالى says:

'And do not say, concerning that which your tongues falsely put forward, "This is lawful and this is forbidden," so as to invent lies against Allaah. Indeed, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.' [Surah al-Nahl (16):116-117]

As for the lay person, then he must not call to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى if he does not have knowledge. Rather, it is essential to have knowledge in accordance with the saying of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى:

'Say: (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): "This is my way; I invite unto Allaah (i.e. to the Oneness of Allaah - Islamic Monotheism) with sure knowledge, I and whosoever follows me (also must invite others to Allaah i.e to the Oneness of Allaah - Islamic Monotheism) with sure knowledge. And Glorified and Exalted be Allaah (above all that they associate as partners with Him). And I am not of the Mushrikeen (polytheists, pagans, idolaters and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allaah; those who worship others along with Allaah or set up rivals or partners to Allaah)."' [Surah Yoosuf (12):108]

So it is a must to call to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى upon knowledge. However, if a matter is clearly known to be evil or good, then one can command it – if it is good, or forbid it – if it is evil.

So the callers to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى must start with knowledge. Whosoever calls to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى without knowledge, then such a person will cause greater harm than good – as is evident. So it is obligatory for a person to first acquire knowledge, then to do Da`wah. As for the clear evils and that which is clearly good, then the good is enjoined and the evil prohibited." [2]

Notes:

[1] Saheeh al-Bukhaaree.

[2] Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-'Uthaymin رحمه الله, The Islamic Awakening (Al-Hidaayah Publishing, UK), pp. 105-106.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 2
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2018 14:32
Is this fatwah applicable to someone if the invited person is son, son in law or brother in law?
+0 -0
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2018 16:29
this can be understood by an example.

When a disease takes an epidemic form, available doctors are not enough to tackle the epidemic. They call for volunteers with basic knowledge of science, train them on how to detect the epidemic disease and distribute the tablets as first aid, if disease is very serious guide them to qualified doctors.
And these volunteers won't treat any other disease.
these services by volunteers are appreciated by the authorities and in return they are awarded.

Don't ummah needs volunteers for eradication of be-deeni which has taken an epidemic form. The award expected by volunteers in deen is hidayath, and Allah rewards them with hidayath.
+0 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
India
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 12th February 2019 18:24
Hazrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned:

There is a great need for each person to be concerned about his own reformation and to correct his actions. Nowadays, we find that people have fallen into the sickness of worrying about other people’s weaknesses while they are unconcerned about their own reformation. This can be compared to a person who is more concerned about looking after the shoes of others while his own shoes and luggage get stolen due to him being unconcerned about them. How foolish is the action of such a person! (Malfoozaat Hakeemul Ummat 23/56)
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2019 03:36
Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

As salam alaykum Sir:

We can infer from Hazrat's malfoozat that he is speaking in the context of people who interact with him the most, and these are not necessarily everyday layman folk, but mostly people of knowledge. Most common people of the area (village folk), even to this day, consider themselves very lowly, as most of them are not very punctual in the amal of the deen.
+2 -0Like x 2
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2019 03:40
Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

There are two things to be considered.
1. His own reformation
2. Reformation of the society.

2 separate independent responsibilities.

In our childhood days, "I missed fajar, then what is use of offering rest of the prayers. Later, I am missing zuhar and asr, then what is the use of offering fajar"
+0 -0
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2019 05:28
Hakimul Ummah RA:

To get strength to start practice on any amal, I speak on that amal before general audience. This is because; I prepare myself to speak on this amal and present it to audience in best possible way. This inspires the speaker also, it motivates him that you are inviting others and it is your duty to follow what you preach, this gives him strength. Also there could be a pious person among the audience, if the bayan pleases him, he will do dua for the speaker. Or someone gets hidayath after hearing the bayan and the speaker is the source of this, Allah SWT will declare, why to exclude you, you will also be rewarded with hidayath
+0 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2019 11:44
Anonymous wrote:
View original post

Beautiful.
+1 -0Like x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What letters are in the word in blue?