Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open
 
Top Members

The Islamic Concept Of Dreams

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Thread Tools
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Taalibah, bint e aisha
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 30th October 2015 09:42
Linguistic Definitions


A dream is a vision that a person sees during his sleep. The Arabic words for dream are ru'yaa (pl. ru'aa) and ḥulum (or ḥilm, pl. aḥlaam).

In the Qur'aan, the word ḥulum appears three times [1] - each time referring to mixed-up dreams, and the word ru'yaa appears seven times [2] - each time referring to truthful dreams.

In the Sunnah, "ru'yaa" and "ḥulum" are sometimes used interchangeably. More often, however, ru'yaa is used for a good dream and ḥulum for a bad one.

Imaam Ibn ul-Manẓoor رحمه الله said: "Ru'yaa and ḥulum is what a person sees during his sleep. But ru'yaa is mostly applied to what he sees of good and pleasant things, and ḥulum is mostly applied to what he sees of evil or bad things. And either of the two words may be used in the place of the other." [3] [4]

Notes:

[1] Twice in Soorah Yoosuf (12:44), and once in Sooratul-Anbiyaa' (21:5)

[2] In Soorah Yoosuf (12:5, 12:43 and 12:100), Sooratul-Israa' (17:60), Sooratus-Saaffaat (37:105) and Sooratul-Fatḥ (48:27)

[3] Lisaanul-'Arab (under root word ḥalama).

[4] The Dreamers Handbook, p. 99
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
back to top
Rank Image
BHAI1's avatar
UK
392
Brother
-21
BHAI1's avatar
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 31st October 2015 13:41
Sweet Dreams: A Series on Dream Interpretation Part 1 | Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf

an excellent series on youtube

5 parts

report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd November 2015 09:52
What Are Dreams?


Dreams are among the spiritual puzzles of this life. People have conflicting and confusing views regarding their nature. Only by adhering to the guidance of the Qur'aan and Sunnah can we form a reasonanble understanding of dreams.

Imaam al-Maaziri رحمه الله said: "People have numerous arguments regarding the nature of dreams. As for those who not adopt a religious understanding, their arguments are particularly outrageous. They tackle issues that cannot be reached with the human reason, and for which there is no proof; and since they do not believe in the Revelation, their statements are widely conflicting." [1]

Imaam al-Qurtubi رحمه الله said: "The reason for the confusion of non-religious people in regard to dreams is that they turn away from the Straight Path of the Prophets عليهم الصلاة والسلام. What we say is that dreams are reflections of the soul; and since we cannot comprehend the soul, we would not, obviously, comprehend its reflections..." [2]

We establish below that dreams are visions that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى creates and instills into our hearts.

Some dreams, truthful and sublime, are granted by Allaah سبحانه و تعالى. They support and reassure a believer, warn him of some individuals, reprimand him for some of his wrongdoings, foretell him of some good (to anticipate) or harm (to beware of), and so on. Such dreams are attributed to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى because of the truth and good they carry.

Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim رحمه الله said: "Dreams are parables presented by the angel whom Allaah set in charge of them. The dreamer may then use a parable as a guide to something similar..." [3]

Other dreams, false and unpleasant, mix truth with falsehood, and frighten people during sleep or even after awakening. Such dreams are whispered by a devil and are, therefore, attributed to Shaytaan.

Al-Qaadi Abu Bakr Ibn al-'Arabi رحمه الله said: "Dreams are reflections that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى instills into a person's heart - upon the hand of either an angel or a devil. They represent things - either explicitly or metaphorically, or are a meaningless mix-up. Thus, they resemble the thoughts that occur during wakefulness, which may either be organised, as in a story, or scattered into fragments." [4]

Imaam al-Maaziri رحمه الله said: "Allaah سبحانه و تعالى creates in the heart of a sleeping person reflections - just as He does in a wakeful person's heart, and He does what He wills, for He is not restricted by sleep or wakefulness. He makes these reflections as indicators of other things that He subsequently creates or had already created. Thus, for example, He creates a vision in the heart of a sleeping person that he is flying - and he (obviously) cannot fly. This could indicate that this person's belief regarding some issue is contrary to its reality (just as flying is contrary to reality). This is similar to how Allaah سبحانه و تعالى creates clouds (in real life) as a sign for rain - and both (the indicator and the indicated) are created by Him." [5] [6]

Notes:

[1] Fathul-Baari, 12:442

[2] Fathul-Baari, 12:442

[3] I'laam al-Muwaqqi'een, 1:157

[4] Fathul-Baari, 12:442

[5] Fathul-Baari, 12:442 and al-Minhaaj 15:20.

[6] The Dreamers Handbook, pp. 99-101.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 4th November 2015 09:36
Allaah Creates All Dreams




"Allaah is the Creator of all things, and He is, over all things, Disposer of affairs." (Sooratuz-Zumar, 39:62)

Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى creation is all good, and is of great underlying wisdom and benefit. However, the goodness and wisdom behind what appears to be evil may not be perceived by many people.

Whereas texts of the Qur'aan and Sunnah attribute good and honourable actions directly to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى, they often do not directly attribute to Him actions or things that are apparently evil. This is done out of respect and reverence for Him. The same rule applies to dreams: attributing good dreams directly to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى is a common practise in the Sunnah, whereas bad dreams are attributed to Shaytaan - though he does not create them.

[The Dreamers Handbook]
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 5th November 2015 09:54
Shaytaan's Role In Dreams


Attributing Bad Dreams To Shaytaan


Bad and terrifying dreams are attributed to Shaytaan because:

(1) He initiates the bad and hateful thoughts and insinuates them into people's thoughts in dream form.

(2) He likes and approves bad dreams and evil thoughts.

(3) Bad dreams conform with his evil nature.

(4) His hate toward humans makes him do all that is possible to harm or frighten them - both during sleep and their wakefulness.

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Al-Muhallab said, '...Bad dreams are attributed to Shaytaan because they are created in his likeness (of evil)...' Abu 'Abdil-Malik said, '(A bad dream) is attributed to Shaytaan because it is according to his desire and goal.' Ibn al-Baaqillaani said, '...Allaah سبحانه و تعالى creates an unpleasant dream in the presence of Shaytaan (i.e. while he is present with the dreamer). This is why it is attributed to him.' And others say that it is attributed to him because he insinuates it." [1]

Imaam an-Nawawi رحمه الله said: "Al-Maaziri said, 'Allaah سبحانه و تعالى creates dreams that are indicators of harm in the presence of Shaytaan. They are metaphorically attributed to Shaytaan because he witnesses them - even though he does not really make them.' Others said, 'Both pleasant and unpleasant dreams are created, arranged, and willed by Allaah سبحانه و تعالى. Shaytaan has no doing in regard to either, but he witnesses an unpleasant dream, accepts it, and is pleased with it.'" [2]

Shaytaan's Play


In addition to bad and terrifying dreams, there are absurd dreams that can be caused by Shaytaan.

Jaabir Ibn 'Abdillaah رضي الله عنهما reported that a Bedouin came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and said, "I saw in my dream that my throat was cut, and my head fell off and started rolling, so I ran after it, retrieved it, and put it back in its place." The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم smiled, and, addressing the man and the people next to him, said: "When Shaytaan makes fun of you during your sleep, do not tell people about it." [3]

In this hadeeth, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم discouraged people from relating dreams that appear to be meaningless or frightening.

Wet Dreams


Wet dreams are associated with the ejection of seminal fluid during sleep. They often include visions of prohibited actions or interactions that are instigated by Shaytaan. In some cases, they may also be an echo of a person's thoughts during wakefulness.

Even though wet dreams are most common among men, it is possible for women to have them as well. Umm Salamah رضي الله عنها reported that Umm Sulaym رضي الله عنها came to Allaah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم and asked him, "O Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم, Allaah is surely not shy from the truth: Is it required for a woman to perform ghusl when she has a wet dream?" He صلى الله عليه وسلم replied, "When she finds wetness (on her clothes), she must take a bath." Umm Salamah رضي الله عنها covered her face and asked, "O Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم, do women have wet dreams?" He صلى الله عليه وسلم replied: "Yes, may your right hand be prosperous! How then does her child resemble her?" [4]

Imaam al-Baghawi رحمه الله said: "Wet dreams that require ghusl have no interpretation. They may be caused by an annoyance of Shaytaan or by the dreamer's echoed thoughts." [5]

Shaytaan's Limitation


A believer should always remember that Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى power is boundless and prevailing, whereas Shaytaan's schemes are restricted by Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى permission and wisdom. Therefore, when a believer is distressed or alarmed by Shaytaan's spurring, he should turn to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى Who can easily alleviate his concern. Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says:




"And if an evil suggestion comes to you from Satan, then seek refuge in Allaah. Indeed, He is Hearing and Knowing. Indeed, those who fear Allah - when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitan (Satan), they remember (Allaah), and (indeed) they then see (aright)." (Sooratul-A'raaf, 7:200-201) [6]

Notes:

[1] Fathul-Baari, 12:463

[2] Al-Minhaaj, 15:20

[3] Recorded by Imaam Muslim رحمه الله, Imaam Ahmad رحمه الله, and others.

[4] Recorded by Imaam al-Bukhaari رحمه الله, Imaam Muslim رحمه الله, and others.

[5] Sharh-us-Sunnah, 6:298

[6] The Dreamers Handbook
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 6th November 2015 14:43
Categories of Dreams

Reports Regarding Dream Categories


Abu Salamah [1] رحمه الله reported that he used to have dreams that made him ill (from fear or worry) - until he heard Abu Qatadah رضي الله عنه mention that he had the same problem, so Allaah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم told him: "A pleasant (or good, or truthful) dream is from Allaah, and a bad dream is from Shaytaan. When one of you has a good dream (that he likes), let him expect good, and avoid relating it except to those whom he loves. And when he has a dream and dislikes any part of it, let him seek Allaah's protection from its evil and from Shaytaan's evil, and let him lightly spit - three times - on his left side, and avoid relating it to anyone. Indeed, it will then not harm him." [2]

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri رضي الله عنه reported that he heard the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم say: "When one of you has a dream that he likes - indeed, it is only from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and relate it (to his beloved ones). And if one of you has a dream that he hates - indeed, it is only from Shaytaan, so let him seek Allaah's protection from its evil, and let him not mention it to anyone: it will then not harm him." [3]

Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Dreams are of three categories: a good dream that has glad tidings from Allaah, a terrifying dream from Shaytaan, and a dream about what concerns a person. When one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him rise from his sleep and pray, and let him not relate it to other people." [4]

Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه also reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "When one of you has a dream that he likes, let him narrate it (to his beloved ones) and interpret it; and when one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him neither narrate it nor interpret it." [5]

Jaabir Ibn 'Abdillaah رضي الله عنهما reported that Allaah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "When one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him spit (lightly) three times on his left side, ask Allaah three times to shelter him from Shaytaan, and turn over from the side on which he was sleeping." [6]

And 'Awf Ibn Maalik reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Dreams are of three categories: scary dreams from Shaytaan - to depress the human being, things that concern a person during his wakefulness, so he sees them in his dream, and dreams that are a part of forty six parts of prophethood." [7]

Three Categories


From the above ahaadeeth, we surmise that there are three main categories of dreams:

(1) Truthful dreams (inspired by Angels).

(2) Terrifying dreams (whispered by Shaytaan).

(3) Mixed up medleys (dreamer's thoughts, concerns, etc).

The second and third categories are meaningless in the sense that they have no useful interpretation. Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen رحمه الله said: "During its minor death (i.e. sleep), the soul sees dreams and visions that divided into three categories: pleasant dreams, hateful dreams, and dreams that consist of meaningless and pointless things. The latter could be from Shaytaan's teasing, from echoing personal concerns, or from other reasons." [8]

1. Good or Truthful Dreams


Truthful dreams contain signals regarding events or other things that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى created or will create.

Imaam Ibn 'Abdil-Barr رحمه الله said: "It should be believed that a truthful dream is from Allaah is a part of prophethood. It reflects great wisdom and kindness from Allaah, which adds to a believer's faith. I do not know any difference in this regard among the people of religion and truth, whether they are from the followers of opinion or of hadeeth reports. No one rejects (the value of) dreams except the atheists and a small group of mu'tazilah (a philosphical deviant sect)... If a dream is not mixed up medleys or a nightmare, it is truthful. It can even be seen by a non-believer or a sinner, such as the dreams of the King of Egypt and of the two prison-mates of Prophet Yoosuf (peace be upon him)..." [9]

The following steps may help in distinguishing a truthful dream from a meaningless dream:

(a) First, the dreamer should exclude any dream that is apparently from the third (thoughts/concerns, etc) category - whether the dream is pleasant or unpleasant. A meaningless dream would normally be a reflection of the dreamer's thoughts or concerns, a result of a physical weakness (such as fever) or tendency (such as hunger or thirst), or a total mix-up that shows no theme.

(b) If the dream is unpleasant, the dreamer should ponder on whether it brings baseless terror, which means that it is from Shaytaan, or if it carries subtle warnings and legitimate pointers, which could mean that it is truthful.

(c) If the dream is pleasant and passes test (a), or is quite notable and brings some original thoughts that appear to be alien to daily life and experience, then it may very possibly be truthful.

Imaam Ibn Khaldoon رحمه الله said: "A truthful dream has signs that attest to its truthfulness and legitimacy, so the dreamer would feel the glad tidings from Allaah because of what he was inspired with during his sleep. Among these signs are the following:

(i) Quick awakening after having the dream - as though the dreamer rushes to regain wakefulness because of the importance of the inspiration he received (in the dream).

(ii) The dream remains imprinted and fixed, in full detail, in the dreamers memory." [10]

While there is no solid proof from Islamic texts for Imaam Ibn Khuldoon's above statement, experience shows their correctness in many cases of truthful dreams.

Based on what they symbolise, truthful dreams can further be divided into three classes: pleasant, unpleasant or forewarning, and admonishing.

Imaam ad-Daawoodi رحمه الله said: "Truthful dreams may include warnings as well as glad-tidings." [11]

And Imaam Hakeem at-Tirmidhi رحمه الله said: "A truthful dream tells a truth, which may be a glad tiding, a warning, or a reprimand." [12]

The Three Classes of Truthful Dreams


(1) Pleasant: A good fortune that will reach him; for example, seeing himself in Jannah.

(2) Unpleasant or forewarning: A harm that may afflict him (which may be possible to avert in some cases); for example, seeing a fire burning some of his valuables.

(3) Admonishing: A reprimand for a shortcoming or sin, or an encouragement for improvement; for example, seeing himself prevented from entering Jannah unless he takes a bath.

2. Terrifying Dreams


Terrifying or bad dreams, also known as nightmares, are insinuated by Shaytaan to alarm or distress people. Such dreams have no real meaning or interpretation. They should be distinguished from foreboding truthful dreams that we have mentioned above.

The harm of bad dreams is merely psychological. It lies in frightening, disturbing, depressing, or worrying people. By following the guidelines provided in the Sunnah, their evil effects can be completely annulled. Furthermore, this may even reduce some worries in regard to truthful foreboding dreams.

Imaam al-Qaadi 'Iyaad رحمه الله said: "An 'unpleasant or evil' dream means either that it is apparently unpleasant (i.e. from Shaytaan), or that it has an unpleasant interpretation (for a foreboding truthful dream). The wisdom in keeping this uncertainty - though the dream might be truthful - may be to spare the dreamer from worrying about its unpleasant interpretation... If no one interprets it for him, he remains hopeful that it might have a good interpretation, or that it is meaningless, and this would reduce his worry." [13]

As an example, let us assume that a person had a dream that he was sinking in quicksand without being able to move any limb to save himself, and that his calls for help were muffled. This could be a nightmare, and could also be a truthful dream indicating that the dreamer will sink in debt or some other calamity without finding anyone to help him. If he treats this dream as a nightmare and performs the isti'aadhah [14] and other protective measure, this dream would not harm him if it truly is a nightmare. Furthermore, if it is a truthful foreboding dream, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى would reduce or eliminate its harm by virtue of the dreamer's supplication.

[colour]3. Mixed-Up Medleys[/colour]


Adghaath or medleys are the most common category of dreams. They have various reasons, such as habits, echoed-thoughts about matters that concern the dreamer, reactions to his physical health condition, and Shaytaan's delusions. Medleys have no useful interpretation.

In regard to this category of dreams, al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Dreams for which the dreamer finds no consequences in his wakefulness arise from things that concerned him before going to sleepm so he dreams about them. This type has no
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 6th November 2015 14:45
Categories of Dreams

Reports Regarding Dream Categories


Abu Salamah [1] رحمه الله reported that he used to have dreams that made him ill (from fear or worry) - until he heard Abu Qatadah رضي الله عنه mention that he had the same problem, so Allaah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم told him: "A pleasant (or good, or truthful) dream is from Allaah, and a bad dream is from Shaytaan. When one of you has a good dream (that he likes), let him expect good, and avoid relating it except to those whom he loves. And when he has a dream and dislikes any part of it, let him seek Allaah's protection from its evil and from Shaytaan's evil, and let him lightly spit - three times - on his left side, and avoid relating it to anyone. Indeed, it will then not harm him." [2]

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri رضي الله عنه reported that he heard the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم say: "When one of you has a dream that he likes - indeed, it is only from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and relate it (to his beloved ones). And if one of you has a dream that he hates - indeed, it is only from Shaytaan, so let him seek Allaah's protection from its evil, and let him not mention it to anyone: it will then not harm him." [3]

Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Dreams are of three categories: a good dream that has glad tidings from Allaah, a terrifying dream from Shaytaan, and a dream about what concerns a person. When one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him rise from his sleep and pray, and let him not relate it to other people." [4]

Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه also reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "When one of you has a dream that he likes, let him narrate it (to his beloved ones) and interpret it; and when one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him neither narrate it nor interpret it." [5]

Jaabir Ibn 'Abdillaah رضي الله عنهما reported that Allaah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "When one of you has a dream that he dislikes, let him spit (lightly) three times on his left side, ask Allaah three times to shelter him from Shaytaan, and turn over from the side on which he was sleeping." [6]

And 'Awf Ibn Maalik reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Dreams are of three categories: scary dreams from Shaytaan - to depress the human being, things that concern a person during his wakefulness, so he sees them in his dream, and dreams that are a part of forty six parts of prophethood." [7]

Three Categories


From the above ahaadeeth, we surmise that there are three main categories of dreams:

(1) Truthful dreams (inspired by Angels).

(2) Terrifying dreams (whispered by Shaytaan).

(3) Mixed up medleys (dreamer's thoughts, concerns, etc).

The second and third categories are meaningless in the sense that they have no useful interpretation. Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen رحمه الله said: "During its minor death (i.e. sleep), the soul sees dreams and visions that divided into three categories: pleasant dreams, hateful dreams, and dreams that consist of meaningless and pointless things. The latter could be from Shaytaan's teasing, from echoing personal concerns, or from other reasons." [8]

1. Good or Truthful Dreams


Truthful dreams contain signals regarding events or other things that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى created or will create.

Imaam Ibn 'Abdil-Barr رحمه الله said: "It should be believed that a truthful dream is from Allaah is a part of prophethood. It reflects great wisdom and kindness from Allaah, which adds to a believer's faith. I do not know any difference in this regard among the people of religion and truth, whether they are from the followers of opinion or of hadeeth reports. No one rejects (the value of) dreams except the atheists and a small group of mu'tazilah (a philosphical deviant sect)... If a dream is not mixed up medleys or a nightmare, it is truthful. It can even be seen by a non-believer or a sinner, such as the dreams of the King of Egypt and of the two prison-mates of Prophet Yoosuf (peace be upon him)..." [9]

The following steps may help in distinguishing a truthful dream from a meaningless dream:

(a) First, the dreamer should exclude any dream that is apparently from the third (thoughts/concerns, etc) category - whether the dream is pleasant or unpleasant. A meaningless dream would normally be a reflection of the dreamer's thoughts or concerns, a result of a physical weakness (such as fever) or tendency (such as hunger or thirst), or a total mix-up that shows no theme.

(b) If the dream is unpleasant, the dreamer should ponder on whether it brings baseless terror, which means that it is from Shaytaan, or if it carries subtle warnings and legitimate pointers, which could mean that it is truthful.

(c) If the dream is pleasant and passes test (a), or is quite notable and brings some original thoughts that appear to be alien to daily life and experience, then it may very possibly be truthful.

Imaam Ibn Khaldoon رحمه الله said: "A truthful dream has signs that attest to its truthfulness and legitimacy, so the dreamer would feel the glad tidings from Allaah because of what he was inspired with during his sleep. Among these signs are the following:

(i) Quick awakening after having the dream - as though the dreamer rushes to regain wakefulness because of the importance of the inspiration he received (in the dream).

(ii) The dream remains imprinted and fixed, in full detail, in the dreamers memory." [10]

While there is no solid proof from Islamic texts for Imaam Ibn Khuldoon's above statement, experience shows their correctness in many cases of truthful dreams.

Based on what they symbolise, truthful dreams can further be divided into three classes: pleasant, unpleasant or forewarning, and admonishing.

Imaam ad-Daawoodi رحمه الله said: "Truthful dreams may include warnings as well as glad-tidings." [11]

And Imaam Hakeem at-Tirmidhi رحمه الله said: "A truthful dream tells a truth, which may be a glad tiding, a warning, or a reprimand." [12]

The Three Classes of Truthful Dreams


(1) Pleasant: A good fortune that will reach him; for example, seeing himself in Jannah.

(2) Unpleasant or forewarning: A harm that may afflict him (which may be possible to avert in some cases); for example, seeing a fire burning some of his valuables.

(3) Admonishing: A reprimand for a shortcoming or sin, or an encouragement for improvement; for example, seeing himself prevented from entering Jannah unless he takes a bath.

2. Terrifying Dreams


Terrifying or bad dreams, also known as nightmares, are insinuated by Shaytaan to alarm or distress people. Such dreams have no real meaning or interpretation. They should be distinguished from foreboding truthful dreams that we have mentioned above.

The harm of bad dreams is merely psychological. It lies in frightening, disturbing, depressing, or worrying people. By following the guidelines provided in the Sunnah, their evil effects can be completely annulled. Furthermore, this may even reduce some worries in regard to truthful foreboding dreams.

Imaam al-Qaadi 'Iyaad رحمه الله said: "An 'unpleasant or evil' dream means either that it is apparently unpleasant (i.e. from Shaytaan), or that it has an unpleasant interpretation (for a foreboding truthful dream). The wisdom in keeping this uncertainty - though the dream might be truthful - may be to spare the dreamer from worrying about its unpleasant interpretation... If no one interprets it for him, he remains hopeful that it might have a good interpretation, or that it is meaningless, and this would reduce his worry." [13]

As an example, let us assume that a person had a dream that he was sinking in quicksand without being able to move any limb to save himself, and that his calls for help were muffled. This could be a nightmare, and could also be a truthful dream indicating that the dreamer will sink in debt or some other calamity without finding anyone to help him. If he treats this dream as a nightmare and performs the isti'aadhah [14] and other protective measure, this dream would not harm him if it truly is a nightmare. Furthermore, if it is a truthful foreboding dream, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى would reduce or eliminate its harm by virtue of the dreamer's supplication.

3. Mixed-Up Medleys


Adghaath or medleys are the most common category of dreams. They have various reasons, such as habits, echoed-thoughts about matters that concern the dreamer, reactions to his physical health condition, and Shaytaan's delusions. Medleys have no useful interpretation.

In regard to this category of dreams, al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Dreams for which the dreamer finds no consequences in his wakefulness arise from things that concerned him before going to sleepm so he dreams about them. This type has no harm or benefit." [15]

Examples of adghaath dreams: A person with the need to relieve himself may see that he is earnestly looking for a toilet; a person with a fever may see himself walking in a hot desert or under a midday sun; a ringing alarm clock near him may initiate a dream of a train making whistling noises, etc. [16]

Notes:

[1] He was the son of 'Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn 'Awf رضي الله عنه, and was born around 20 A.H.

[2] This is combined from narrations recorded by al-Bukhaari (3292, 5747, 6984, 6986, 6995, 7005, 7044), Muslim (2261), and others.

[3] Recorded by al-Bukhaari (6985, 7045), at-Tirmidhi, and others.

[4] Recorded by al-Bukhaari (7017), Muslim (2263), and others.

[5] Recorded by Ibn 'Abdil Barr. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله (as-Saheehah, no. 1340).

[6] Recorded by Muslim (2262), Abu Daawood, and others.

[7] Recorded by al-Bukhaari (in at-Taareekh), Ibn Maajah, and others. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله (as-Saheehah, no. 1870).

[8] Sharh Riyaadh us-Saaliheen no. 841.

[9] At-Tamheed, 16:71.

[10] Muqaddimah Ibn Khaldoon, 1:885-886.

[11] Fathul-Baari, 12:465.

[12] Fathul-Baari, 12:465.

[13] Fathul-Baari, 12:465.

[14] For more in Isti'aadhah (seeking refuge from Shaytaan), see:

1) Isti'aadhah (Seeking refuge from Shaytaan) Upon Reading the Qur'aan - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3870_15-10-2015/istiaadhah-seeking-refuge-from-shaytaan-upon-reading-the-quraan.html

2) The Ruling on Isti'aadhah for Recitation and Its Wording - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3871_16-10-2015/the-ruling-on-istiaadhah-for-recitation-and-its-wording.html

3) The Meaning of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3872_19-10-2015/the-meaning-of-istiaadhah.html

4) Everyone Is In Need Of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3873_20-10-2015/everyone-is-in-need-of-istiaadhah.html

5) The Virtues of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3874_21-10-2015/the-virtues-of-istiaadhah.html

[15] Fathul-Baari, 12:466.

[16] The Dreamers Handbook
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2015 09:36
Recommended Actions Upon Having A Good Dream


A good dream is a favour from Allaah سبحانه و تعالى because it is granted by Him. It carries glad tidings, brings happiness to the heart, and is an indication of a believer's truthfulness and righteousness. These are important reasons to praise Allaah سبحانه و تعالى for it.

In addition, a good dream should be narrated to learned people who care for the dreamer and wish good for him, so as to give him a good interpretation for it.

On the other hand, he should not narrate it to individuals about whom he may have some misgivings. Such people might become envious, belittle his dream, and even try to misinterpret it in order to cause him dismay.

Imaam al-Baghawi رحمه الله said: "A dreamer should only relate a pleasant dream to a person whom he likes (i.e. trusts). If, instead, he relates it to someone whom he dislikes, that person may misinterpret it for him out of envy, causing him some distress. He may also try to plot against him, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى described Ya'qoob's عليه السلام concern regarding his sons' plotting, should Yoosuf عليه السلام have related his dream to them." [1] [2]

Therefore, upon having a good or pleasant dream, a person is urged to take the following actions:

(1) View it as a good omen from Allaah سبحانه و تعالى.

(2) Praise Allaah سبحانه و تعالى for it.

(3) Narrate it to those whom he likes and trusts.

(4) Avoid narrating it to those whom he dislikes and distrusts.

(5) Seek its interpretation from learned people with good knowledge of dream interpretation. [3]

Notes:

[1] Sharh us-Sunnah, 6:298.

[2] See: Soorah Yoosuf, 12:4-5.

[3] The Dreamers Handbook.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 10th November 2015 10:51
Recommended Actions Upon Having A Bad Dream


When a person has a bad or alarming dream, he is urged to take the following actions:

(1) Seek Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection from its evil.

(2) Seek Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection from Shaytaan.

(3) Lightly spit, three times, to the left side.

(4) Turn over and sleep on a different side.

(5) Say some of the evening and sleep adhkaar that he may have neglected or said without paying good attention - such as aayatul-kursee and the mu'awwidhaat.

(6) Get up and pray.

(7) Avoid narrating it.

(8) Avoid attempting to interpret it.

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Invoking Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection, turning over to the other side, and rising for prayer - these may help in warding off the harm that an unpleasant dream forebodes." [1]

And he also: "Whether an unpleasant dream is caused by Shaytaan or not, doing the recommended acts prevents any undesirable outcome. This is similar to what has been reported that supplication prevents affliction and charity protects against an evil end - and all of this happens according to Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى decree and measure." [2]

Let us discuss some of the recommended actions in further detail.

Ta'awwudh


Ta'awwudh (or isti'aadhah) means seeking Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection or refuge. A believer is always required to ask Allaah سبحانه و تعالى for this, as Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says:



"So seek refuge in Allaah. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Seeing." (Soorah Ghaafir, 40:56)

Ta'awwudh is particularly important when we feel the influence of Shaytaan's whispers. Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says:



"And if an evil whisper from Shaytaan comes to you, seek refuge with Allaah. Verily, He is the Hearer, the Knower." (Soorah Fussilat, 41:36)

We have seen that some of our dreams are whispered by Shaytaan, and that we should say ta'awwudh when we see them. Ta'awwudh can be said simply as: أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم (A'oothu billaahi minash-Shaytaanir-Rajeem - I seek Allaah's protection from Shaytaan, the outcast).

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "As for seeking Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection from the dream's evil, it has an obvious reason, and it is recommended whenever a disliked matter occurs. And as for seeking Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection from Shaytaan, it is because some of the narrations indicate that it is caused by him." [3]

But in the case of dreams, it is better to say specific forms of ta'awwudh that have been reported in the Sunnah, because they protect, inshaa' Allaah, from Shaytaan, from the evil of the dream itself, and from other evils of the day and night.

Khaalid Ibn al-Waleed رضي الله عنه reported that he used to wake up terrified at night, so he would take his sword and strike anything he found in his way. He told the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم about this, and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم instructed him: "Should I not teach you some words that the Trustworthy Spirit (Roohul-Ameen - Jibreel عليه السلام) taught me? Say: 'Aoothu bi-kalimaat-illaahit-taammaat, allaatee laa yujaawizuhunna barrun wa laa faajir, min sharri maa yanzilu minas-samaa'i wa maa ya'ruju feehaa, wa min sharri fitanil-layli wan-nahaar, wa min kulli taariq, illaa taariqun yatruqu bi-khayr, yaa Rahmaan - I seek protection with Allaah's complete words, which no righteous or corrupt person can violate, from the evil of whatever descends from heaven or ascends to it, and from the evil of the night's and day's tribulations, and from every night visitor - except for visitors that come with good - O Most Merciful (grant this)." [4]

'Abdullaah Ibn 'Amr رضي الله عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "When one of you is terrified during his sleep, let him say: A'oothu bikalimaat-illaahit-taammah, min ghadabihi wa min sharri 'ibaadih, wa min hamazaat-ish-Shaytaani wa an yahduroon - I seek refuge in Allaah's complete words from His anger, from the evil of His creation, and from the spurring of the devils or that they be present with me." [5]

Imaam Ibraaheem an-Nakhaa'ee [6] رحمه الله proposed for a person who sees a hateful dream to say: "A'oothu bimaa 'aadhat bihi malaa'ikat-ullaahi wa rusuluh, min sharri ru'yaaya haadhihi, an yuseebanee feehaa maa akrahu fee deenee wa-dunyaaya - I seek (Allaah's) protection - in a way similar to that of Allaah's Angels and Messengers - from the evil of this dream, or that it might result in any harm to my religion or life." [7]

It is important to note that, in order to produce the required effect, ta'awwudh should be said with complete understanding and true belief in Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى power and His promised protection.

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Isti'aadhah should be said by sincerely turning to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى. It is not sufficient to merely move the tongue with it." [8]

Imaam al-Qurtubi رحمه الله said: "Isti'aadhah should be said for terrifying or distressing dreams, because they are insinuated by Shaytaan. When the dreamer says this - truly seeking Allaah's سبحانه و تعالى protection, and does the other acts of lightly spitting, turning over, and praying, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى will protect him from any harmful outcome of that dream." [9] [10]

"Spitting" Or "Blowing" To The Left Side


We have seen that it is recommended for a person who has had a bad dream to spit lightly to his left side. This is done to drive away Shaytaan and express despise and contempt of him, because he initiated the bad dream.

The words for this action used in various narrations range in meaning from mere "blowing" (nafth), to "blowing with light spit" (tafl or tafth), to "spitting" (basq),

The correct procedure is to say the ta'awwudh and then spit lightly to the left. This spitting (or blowing) is done by bringing the lips together, slightly sticking out the tip of the tongue from between them, and blowing with a humid breath - like spitting out a small seed.

In explanation of this, Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Qaadee 'Iyaad رحمه الله said, 'Blowing is recommended for driving away the Shaytaan who attended the bad dream so as to humiliate and spite him. It is done on the left side because that is where dirty things are normally placed.' [11] And doing it three times is for emphasis." [12]

Ta'awwudh with light spitting constitutes a ruqyah. Ruqyah consists of words said in the form of du'aa' or dhikr for the purpose of protection or cure. It is sometimes accompanied by other actions, such as blowing or wiping over the thing to which it is applied.

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Al-Qaadee Abu Bakr Ibn al-'Arabi رحمه الله said, 'This (light spitting) is characteristic of ruqyah. (Doing it) would give confidence that (the dream's evil_ has been averted.' ... Qaadee 'iyaad رحمه الله said, 'As is common in a ruqyah, light spitting helps attain blessing from the humidity and air that are blown with the good words (of ta'awwudh).' ... And an-Nawawi رحمه الله said, 'Allaah سبحانه و تعالى makes this procedure a means for protection against the dream's evil - just as He makes charity a means for protecting wealth.'" [13]

Turning Over And Praying


A person who has had a bad dream is urged to turn over from the side on which he was sleeping to the other side. This helps refresh his body and circulate his blood, and allows him an opportunity to invoke Allaah سبحانه و تعالى and seek His protection.

It is even better to rise up from sleep and pray. Prayer fulfills the above benefits, in addition to countless other benefits. Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said: "Prayer (after having a bad dream) reflect submission to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى and seeking His shelter. By performing it, a person is protected from evil, and his request becomes true and complete, because of his nearness to His Lord during sujood (prostration). [14] As for turning over, it brings him home that his situation (fearing the bad dream) will also turn around." [15]

Imaam al-Qurtubi رحمه الله said: "Prayer fulfills all of these benefits: When a person rises to pray, he would surely change from the side on which he was sleeping. By performing wudoo', he would blow and spit to rinse his mouth and nose. He would say isti'aadhah prior to starting the recitation, and he would supplicate to Allaah while he is in the nearest situation to him. Thus, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى - through His kindness and generosity - would protect him from the dream's evil." [16] [17]

Notes:

[1] Fathul-Baari, 12:465.

[2] Fathul-Baari, 12:466.

[3] Fathul-Baari, 12:464.

[4] Recorded by at-Tabaraani (in al-Awsat) and others. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله (as-Saheehah no. 2738).

[5] Recorded by Abu Daawood, at-Tirmidhi and others. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله (al-Kalim ut-Tayyib no. 49).

[6] He was a taabi'ee and student of Ibn Mas'ood رضي الله عنه. He died in 96 A.H.

[7] Recorded by Ibn Abee Shaybah and 'Abdur-Razzaaq. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله (Fathul-Baari 12: 465).

[8] Fathul-Baari, 12:464.

[9] This is extracted from al-Mufhim, as indicated in Fathul-Baari 12:466.

[10] For more in Isti'aadhah (seeking refuge from Shaytaan), see:

i) Isti'aadhah (Seeking refuge from Shaytaan) Upon Reading the Qur'aan - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3870_15-10-2015/istiaadhah-seeking-refuge-from-shaytaan-upon-reading-the-quraan.html

ii) The Ruling on Isti'aadhah for Recitation and Its Wording - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3871_16-10-2015/the-ruling-on-istiaadhah-for-recitation-and-its-wording.html

iii) The Meaning of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3872_19-10-2015/the-meaning-of-istiaadhah.html

iv) Everyone Is In Need Of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3873_20-10-2015/everyone-is-in-need-of-istiaadhah.html

v) The Virtues of Isti'aadhah - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/3874_21-10-2015/the-virtues-of-istiaadhah.html

[11] We are urged to reserve our right side and limbs for superior actions, and our left side for inferior actions. Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aa'ishah رضي الله عنها and Ummul Mu'mineen Hafsah رضي الله عنها reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used his right hand for eating and drinking, and his left hand for cleansing his private parts and other cleaning. (Abu Daawood).

[12] Fathul-Baari, 12:464.

[13] Fathul-Baari, 12:464.

[14] The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The closest that a person is to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’.” (Saheeh Muslim)

[15] Fathul-Baari, 12:464.

[16] This is extracted from al-Mufhim, as indicated in Fathul-Baari, 12:464-465.

[17] The Dreamers Handbook.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Seifeddine-M's avatar
London
4,762
Brother
4,091
Seifeddine-M's avatar
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 12th November 2015 09:57
Dreams of the Prophets عليهم الصلاة والسلام


The dreams of the Prophets عليهم الصلاة والسلام were all true - which was a valuable support to the veracity of their message. Whether they were sleeping or awake, Shaytaan was not allowed to make them envision falsehood.

Sa'eed Ibn Jubayr رحمه الله reported that Ibn 'Abbaas رضي الله عنهما said: "The Prophets' dreams are part of revelation." [1]

Imaam Ahmad رحمه الله said: "The dreams of the Prophets عليهم الصلاة والسلام were part of revelation. Only ignorant individuals would belittle dreams and claim that they have no consequence." [2]

Dreams are, therefore, included in the meaning of the aayah:



"And it is not for any human being that Allaah should speak to him except by revelation or from behind a partition or that He sends a messenger to reveal, by His permission, what He wills. Indeed, He is Most High and Wise." (Sooratush-Shooraa, 42:51)

Dreams are part of the revelation that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم received from his Lord سبحانه و تعالى.

In particular, our Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم was alert, even during sleep. His dreams were as truthful as what he witnessed during his wakefulness. Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aa'ishah رضي الله عنها reported that the Prophet told her: "O 'Aa'ishah, my eyes sleep, but my heart does not." [3]

Because of this, Mu'aadh رضي الله عنه said: "Everything that the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم saw during sleep or while awake is true." [4]

In fact, the Prophet's صلى الله عليه وسلم great mission started with true dreams, as Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aa'ishah رضي الله عنها reported: "The first kind of revelation that the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم received was true visions during sleep. He would not have a dream except that it would later materialise as clear as morning." [5] [6]

Notes:

[1] Recorded by Ibn Jareer, Ibn Abi 'Aasim, and others. Verified to be Hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله.

[2] Reported by Abu Ya'laa in Tabaqaat ul-Hanaabilah, 1:29.

[3] Recorded by al-Bukhaari, Muslim, and others.

[4] Recorded by Ibn Abi 'Aasim. Verified to be authentic by Shaykh al-Albaani رحمه الله.

[5] Recorded by al-Bukhaari, Muslim, and others.

[6] The Dreamers Handbook
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top

 

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:


In the above image: What letters are in the word in blue?